I do truly hope that if I make it to 90 that I’ve gained enough wisdom to avoid doing things that are just flat-out obnoxious like yelling at traffic.
In counterpoint, Bob Gray has also written a response (which quotes from the article but doesn’t mention it or Amsbaugh by name) and it is a rambling and wild-eyed thing of beauty.
I’ll only post an excerpt here but the gist of this semi-incoherent piece is that
1. The lunatic fringe is really the only part of fundamentalism worth having.
2. The lunatics are not only surviving, they’re thriving.
3. Politics. Amen?
The upshot is that Bob Gray should really not be allowed to write things without an editing staff around to keep him from looking as uneducated as he is unpleasant.
Here’s a sample:
Pharaoh first hardened his own heart. That did not deter God from continuing to use His man in preaching God’s truth to God’s people, and to Pharaoh or his followers. We are free moral agents and God is not going to detour around truth because some are offended by that truth. Neither are God’s men of 2014 supposed to do so.
· People leave because they are not of the ones they are leaving. Human nature.
· I would rather they leave than attempt to commandeer what others lived and died for in fundamentalism in the past.
· To blame the quote “dirty dozen” of sins or standards that are preached, as the reason for an exodus of youth, is as liberal a mind-set as there is and lacks logic.
· Rules and standards do not make rebels they merely expose the rebels.
· The liberals blame guns and not the shooters and the liberal’s desire is to disarm all Americans from that which they despise.
· Liberals always think they are smarter and know what’s best and are not happy to just leave.
· They will not be satisfied until they control the rest of us.
· This small number of new breed of young leaders have a desire to take away all standards thus they must blame certain standards by using such antiquated and ill defined terms like “legalism.”
· Their so-called freedom from standards is a trap set by Satan himself.
· They in turn will define our standards, not theirs, and insulate themselves from such by calling our standards “preferences.”
· They are attempting to separate the youth from the influence of the men of God who built great works for God in the 60’s, 70s, and 80’s
· These men of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s had more people in their bathrooms than these young men have in their church. Yes, I am using the horrible topic of numbers. The Bible does speak of “for the work’s sake” some will believe.
· These young men are opting out of the quest for Holy Spirit power in search of human spirit power.
· When you use Hollywood methods you will receive Hollywood results. Church is to remind us of Heaven not the world. A called out body of baptized believers is the “ekklesia.” We are peculiar and even called a remnant.
· When liberals attempt to re-write the history of these great spiritual men, that God gave us, we are doing exactly what the liberal intellectuals have done and will do with our historical forefathers.
· When I was in high school in the early 60’s our forefathers were revered and not sneered. Then the rebels of the 60’s became our college professors and leaders of our higher education institutions.
· They began immediately to re-write history and make our forefathers look as undesirable as possible. Thus higher education today is smearing the lives of our countries forefathers in the text books as well as the classroom.
· The liberals believe if they can discredit the great men of the past they can alter the direction of the future. That is why Jack Hyles, Tom Malone, Lester Roloff, Lee Roberson, etc., are conveniently absent from some Bible colleges.
· We are in 2014 seeing the same play just different actors both politically and spiritually.
· When those with standards are tagged as “lunatic fringe” by our youth then it is no different than the Tea Party being tagged “lunatic fringe” by the liberal Democrats.
· By the way, that is where the term “lunatic fringe” was birthed.
· The attack on the U.S. Constitution by political liberals could have been easily predicted, much like the attack on the inspiration of the Holy Scriptures by spiritual liberals of our day. One young leader blames our belief of “inspiration of the Holy Scriptures” as part of the problem.
· To tear down what our spiritual and historical forefathers accomplished with scandalizing Internet statements is silly and juvenile. This is grade school stuff.
· I remember at the SOUTHWIDE-BAPTIST-FELLOWSHIP meeting years ago at Dr. Roberson’s church when a national leader renounced his position on standards and soul winning. The struggle was on!
· Many of his peers and some youth followed suit and they produced a public schism and that was fine with me. Just tell us what you believe and we can all move on.
· It appears that in order to build up this new neo-fundamental group we must dispatch with the old guard and do it quickly.
· That is why we have a cancerous soft peddling of a so-called “NEW ROAD.”
· I would suggest that we not mistake “meekness” for “weakness” and let our old and aged voices be heard once again.
· There are still 7,000 out here who have not bowed their knees to the god of this world.
· You can tell more by those who make comments to these blogs of their approval about this silent rebellion.
· Look at the ones who give favorable comments to such illogical, unscriptural verbal diarrhea on these blogs.
· Look at their Face book pics and look at the wives in their skinny jeans along with their listing of their favorite Hollywood movies. That is the elephant in the room that NO ONE wants to talk about.
· A mixed multitude will never get the job done.
· Maybe we should just simply declare where each of us stand on separation and then collate from there. The problem is the youth know where the aged stand because the aged make it clear. Yet the liberal youth tip toe around the subject matter with their books and never do declare specific positions.
If these young bucks are going to bring the fight on in an attempt to do away with OUR forefathers’ legacy and OUR standards, then the fight is on.
· I really do not care what they do or don’t’ do within their realm of their convictions, but do not subtly attack Jack Hyles, Lee Roberson, Tom Malone, John R. Rice and Lester Roloff in an attempt to invade our churches with this non-sense. These mentors of ours were some of the greatest men of God our nation has ever known. PERIOD!
· Dr. Lee Roberson did not give a hoot if another man had his night services at 6 or 7. He was concerned about the “TREND” and where it was headed for those who were influenced by him. The proof is in the “puddin’” and from what I see he was right as to the destination of such changes
· The aged see the big picture better than the youth do. Staying in to correct wrongs did not work for the SBC and it will not work any where else. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!
Hello from America! We’ve had a very busy week taking the kids to the beach on spring break so I’m just now getting around to writing this letter to you. Once your school is done being built and your parents have enough money to take you somewhere I’m sure you’ll understand exactly how busy all these trips can keep you!
Unfortunately, the real reason for this letter is that I have some bad news. You see, some people you don’t even know decided to make a change in who they allow to work for them and then a couple days later they changed it back to the way it was before. I’m still unhappy about it, though, and so is my wife and so are our twins who are your age (which is why we picked you in the first place) so in order to punish those people you’ve never met for their bad decision we’re going to have to stop being your sponsors.
I don’t want you to worry about the effect this decision is having on our kids because we’re going to start sponsoring another little boy in Uganda where all the companies have really good hiring policies and they’ll have a new friend to write letters to. You don’t have to feel bad that we’re dropping you but if you do remember that a lot of other kids are going to be losing their sponsors too (you may even know some of them!) so know that this isn’t personal and it’s really just the right thing to do. I mean 10,000 other American Christians are dropping support for their kids too so we can’t all be wrong, right?
We’ve definitely enjoyed sending you letters and care packages — the pictures of you smiling at your birthday have been some of our favorites. Along with this letter you’ll find one last gift, a book by a man named Mark Driscoll on how to have a great biblical and traditional Christian marriage even though you’re a Buddhist. You may want to wait until you’re a little older to read it because it’s got some grown up stuff in it and it’s unfortunately not available in your language but I’m sure that you’ll learn English once that school gets built by whomever is still giving money to your area.
I truly hope you find a place to stay and have plenty to eat — you’ll just need to get them from somebody else now. You may be sad but it’s making Jesus happy that really counts.
Love in Christ,
I know I’m probably going to be accused of turning SFL completely off-topic and making it a platform for my own loudmouthed crusade but I’ve walked around for the last few days with such a heavy heart about this situation that I couldn’t help but say something more. Hopefully I’ll be able to move past it now. Lord knows, there’s a lot of healing that needs to be done in so many different places.
How many sermons have we heard screamed in IFB churches about divorce?
How many times have we heard other churches mocked for the fact that they have pastors, teachers, or administrators on staff who have been divorced?
How many times have we seen people stay in bad and abusive marriages because they believed that leaving their spouse would end their usefulness to God?
(To be fair, it looks like Steve’s church isn’t exactly the IFB of his dad’s day. The kids in his youth group look…normal.)
A few questions:
1. Why is he wearing a suit?
2. Why are all those people sitting around staring off into space?
3. Can his wife talk?
4. How exactly does one go “soulwinning” in Africa?
5. What did West Africa do to deserve having a Hyles-Anderson college started in it?